VisionTo build a healthy community that is self-sufficient and meets the everyday challenges of living in a diverse society.
Foster the health and well-being of immigrant and refugee communities through the education, arts, advocacy and access to care.
With a multifaceted approach targeting the social determinants of health through support, networking, and community engagement, CHAT is able to improve immigrant and refugee health and well-being by reducing isolation, facilitating acculturation, and connecting resources unlike any other existing organization in Houston.
- To develop long-term strategies supporting Houston’s immigrants and refugees in adopting healthy and productive lifestyles.
- To forge and leverage alliances and partnerships based on a multidimensional approach targeting the Social Determinants of Health within the immigrant and refugee communities of Houston.
- To enable diverse communities to sustain their unique cultures while adapting to life in Houston.
- To connect Houston’s refugee and immigrant communities to a wide range of necessary services that will comprehensively foster a universal culture of health.
- To gather strong data that will build empirical evidence on effectiveness, improve future programs, and provide key insight that is integral towards improving community health.
- Understand the current status of the social determinants of health in the immigrant and refugee population of Houston by conducting interviews, baseline and post-program surveys, holding focus groups, and developing a community health needs assessment
- Learn perceptions and perspectives of health and hygiene of immigrant and refugee families in Houston
- Tailor and implement programs to meet current needs of immigrant and refugee population of Houston while systematically measuring effectiveness
- Organize quarterly social and educational community events to bring new immigrants and refugees together
- Organize monthly events to gather potential individual donors and introduce them to CHAT
- Secure grant-funding, corporate sponsorships, and foundation affiliations
- Continue strategic process to expand partnerships and network
- Increase number of skills-based volunteers from 5 to 15 in the next month and implement training sessions